Local Time

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The final journey

August 5th seemed like one of those days so far in the future that it'd never come.. but alas, the day of my scheduled departure came. This morning I left Bogor with a bit of a heavy heart and a shameful amount of baggage - IN spite of my marathon "survivor" packing session, in which, any piece of clothing or item that I didn't love got left on the island.

I wrapped things up frantically at CCROM yesterday, including a solid two hours ironing out all the details of my seven flights over the next eight days. Not my best planning endeavors - I screwed up my single entry Indo visa and probably will lose more money than I should in various airport taxes - but even I'm not perfect at planning. I write from Singapore, where I'm shamelessly dumping 3/4 of my current belongings at Pat's PALACE (complete with pool, famous jungle gym from our first whirlwind visit in June, warm showers, proximity to waterfront running area). The master plan:

Partner in Crime: Patrick Maher, pictured left


Credentials: 1 year of living in Singapore working for Barclays, making him an expert of the Southeast Asian landscape
2 previous trips to Bali, several other regional adventures
Tolerated Eric Schwendimann as a roommate

Agenda: Friday and Saturday in Lombok, the island just east of Bali, described by Lonely Planet as "a labyrinth of turquoise bays, white sand, world class surf breaks, and drop-dead good looks." Our hotel has the option of a personal chef. I am beyond stoked.

Sunday and Monday in Bali. Bali shouldn't need much introduction. I thought about perhaps visiting another Indonesian island (I really wanted to see those orangutans in Kalimantan!) but every single Indonesian I met told me I MUST go to Bali. I don't anticipate any disappointment here - temples, beaches, gorgeous rice terraces, unique Balinese traditions and culture

Tuesday and Wednesday (if we get on the flight back..there is potential we won't) I have to spend in Singapore where Dan and I will depart together for JFK.. yes that's right.. JFK! But not before we get twelve hours during the day to explore Tokyo.

I've been a bundle of different emotions over the last week: shocked at how quickly the two months flew by in Indonesia, very sad to leave the new friends who embraced us and made sure we made the most of said time, a little unexpected anxiety about returning home, and an utter disbelief that my year of grad school is OVER - minus one small presentation my first week back at Columbia. I have been a slave to this program since last August, I think part of the bundle of emotions includes a feeling of what the hell to do with all my new found free time??? Now that my life is a year richer of people, knowledge, and purposeful energy to help save the planet.

Not quite sure I have an answer to that question, but I've got a week in paradise to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment